Sunday, January 1, 2012

Toddlerhood

It's the first day of January 2012 and I'm super tired. Already? Gosh, I just got started with this year. Owen and I watched Kipper the Dog episodes last night and he crashed out a little after 9 pm; not without a ride, I might add. I put away Christmas decorations and wondered around the house like a lost puppy for a while not knowing what to do with my free time. I've been doing a lot of that lately. I need to channel my energy into something (i.e. crafts) for myself. 

School will be back in session soon and I've not accomplished everything I wanted to do this vacation; which is no surprise. I did however, accomplish a list of things and a few things from the list still remain. 

We had Communion and First Sunday lunch at Church this morning and Owen did really well up until it was time for us to go. I can tell he's growing up because earlier in the year, we would always have to go outside and swing before prayer. Now, he's able to sit through prayer and two hymns before exiting to Sunday School (most of the time). He insisted he stay with Mo and I came home to enjoy those moments that I wonder around and have no idea what to do with the time I didn't expect in the first place! Ahhhh. Relaxation. Niiice.

Being a stay at home mother is certainly overwhelming at times. If you are one, you know exactly what I mean. Thank goodness we have hands-on grandparents that love visits! We are very lucky to have them. I honestly don't know what I would do without them.

All that being said, we are going through Toodlerhood at our house. It a messy mixture of fun, crazy, silly, laughter, difficulty and not listening. Several months ago, we were headed to Gramma's house and I was listening to Focus on the Family on a Christian station that I almost always listen to when we're in the car. I don't know if it was meant for me to hear this or not, but a wonderful lady named Cynthia Tobias was telling about her book: 

You Can't Make Me (But I Can Be Persuaded): Strategies for Bringing Out the Best in Your Strong-Willed Child
Cynthia Tobias
Needless to say, I will be purchasing this book. No, I'm not saying my child is a complete terror. Nope, not at all. He's a really good boy. He just has his moments. Lots of them these days. Owen is our first child, so we're learning together. That's kind of how Parenthood works. You can read everything you can get your hands on but, all children are not the same and all tips and tricks don't work for all children. We like to Think Outside the Box at our house.

I am always interested in reading and/or trying something different to make myself a better parent. I'll definitely have to do a review of this book when I'm finished reading it. It sounds very helpful and interesting.



1 comment:

  1. The happy family: Spouses Support is a blog that is interested in supporting and training spouses to raise their children in a proper way, and a guide towards a happy family by suggesting solutions to marriage problems and also considered a guide for women during pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete