Friday, February 8, 2013

Miss Piggy

The time is here. The dreaded "D" word has arrived. GASP! It seemed like it was far off until Krispy Kreme and I got reacquainted . Oh Krispy Kreme, let me count the ways my thighs have a distaste for you.
I'll have to assume that you know what the "D" word is and we'll move forward. Chances are, if you're anything like me, you've dieted for most of your life, only to discover that diets ultimately do not work.

In 2010, I started working out to rid myself of the rest of the 100 lbs. I gained with our first little (okay, not so little - 9 lbs. 15 oz.) bundle of sugar. I continued to eat what I wanted (do you think I'll ever learn?) and got to a point where I wasn't losing anymore. 
So, I changed my routine up. I started riding my bicycle. At first, I couldn't ride a mile without being winded. I graduated to almost 13 miles! Yay me! After that, I incorporated Zumba. That's an excellent workout. I love, love, love it! It really tones, tightens & makes your core super strong. 
I then, adding running. That's where I found my obsession. I wasn't able to run real fast or real long, but I was working at it. I ran my first 5k in 37 minutes, which I thought was excellent for my first time. I started mapping out all 5k's I wanted to participate in, started running regularly and joined the YMCA.
After about 3 weeks of the YMCA, I found out I was pregnant. Again, yay! We'd been trying for 10 months off and on; let me explain (it just sounded odd when I read it again). Four months into deciding we wanted another child, my love proposed. After 10 years together, we got married.
Obviously, after gaining 100 pounds with our first little bundle of sugar, I didn't want a growing body in a wedding dress, nor did I want anyone thinking that's why we got married. 
Well, I was (and still am) so obsessed with exercise, I wanted to continue with everything I was doing.Then along came morning sickness and exhaustion. NOPE, no exercising like I was; no matter how much I wanted to, my body wouldn't let me. I continued to walk as much as I could, but no running, no Zumba and I slacked off at the YMCA.
Moving on (slowly, I know)...
I told myself in the beginning of this pregnancy that I would gain 50 pounds MAX. At 40 pounds, I would cut out sugar. Well, it didn't quite happen that way. AT 40 pounds, instead of cutting out sugar, I upped the sugar. Sadly (and also, fortunately), it makes my heart beat incredibly fast so...out it went. I actually wrote this blog entry on Feb. 4th, but it didn't get finished until today. 
I now eat minimal sugar (going on 5 days) and drink no diet sodas (it's been about 10 days and I did have one Sprite Zero). I haven't been feeling like I was before. Thank goodness. I am eating around 1,800-2,000 healthy calories a day and baby is growing well, but I'm not! At 49 pounds gained, I look forward to getting back to my routine of daily exercise, but am no longer overwhelmed by the weight gain. 
I am going to do my best to continue this healthy eating (I prefer those words over diet any day). I've attempted healthy eating in the past and have had phenomenal results. Unfortunately, I always fall back into my Miss Piggy eating habits.


Time to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment