Wednesday, August 13, 2014

When the Pavement Turns to Dirt

Picture it:

Salisbury, NC, June 2001.

We loaded up in the lift bed headed to Surf City, NC to pick up the rest of Gramma's things. It had been 6 months since Tolly passed from Cancer (the word truly does not deserve capitalization, but I'll give it, regardless) & Gramma thought it best to start a new life in Nahunta, GA. 

I honestly don't think Gramma had been to Nahunta prior to the decision to move, I know I hadn't. 

We stopped at the local store in Raybon (Kenny's) & I used the pay phone (which are pretty much obselete now) to get directions from there. "Drive about 5-6 miles and the pavement will turn to dirt. We'll be on the left in another mile and a half." Off we went. 

BOOM! We're fishtailing down the dirt road going 50 before we know it. My Daddy says, "why didn't you warn me?" I told him, "I thought there would be a sign!"

There were no signs that read pavement ends that day, they've since been added.


My Gramma passed away a little over a year ago. My Uncle passed away in 2010 & my other Uncle, moved away in 2007. I'm the only one left from our family & have grown to love this place, dirt & all. I've since, started my own family. 

I'd never seen so much dirt until I moved here, I didn't know trees grew in water & the phrase "right down the road" actually means about eight miles, not a city block. 

Change is inevitable. Sometimes the pavement turns to dirt & there is no sign. 

However...

  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. (Hebrews 13:8 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment